Monday, June 22, 2015

Meet Carolyn Cline, Tour pianist and organist

Carolyn at the organ in the new Catholic Cathedral in Leipzig 
before our last concert. 

One thing that hit many of us after meeting Carolyn Cline, the tour's pianist and organist:  we felt like we'd known her for a long time!  What a comfortable presence she was, not mention what a marvelous musician.

Carolyn and her husband Eldie joined the tour after Mike proposed they hop on board, even though they would have to leave their two children, 7 and 3, behind with Grandma.  Those logistics taken care of,  Carolyn was soon with us for a few rehearsals and the concert in Littleton before heading to Europe as our keyboard player for piano and organ.

Carolyn (and Eldie) grew up in Alliance, Nebraska, where she started playing piano at 5 years old.  "I wanted to be like my older brother who was taking piano lessons at that time," she said.  Carolyn  then studied with a local elementary school music teacher who was also the church organist.  After high school, Carolyn majored in Piano Performance at the University of Wyoming. After graduating she was hired to accompany the vocal department at the University.  She now teaches private piano lessons and plays organ and piano at Arvada United Methodist Church while being a mom to Henry, 7, and Lisa, 3. Family pride shows and Eldie was quick to tell us several times what a wonderful pianist Carolyn is beyond what we were hearing!

"I loved the tour," Carolyn said.  "I loved being able to make music with like-minded people.

"Our first performance of The Ground reminded me why I love to accompany choirs.  It brought me to tears.  There were so many musical moments that fed me artistically, and playing with the quartet was such fun.  I sometimes forget how powerful and transformative music can be."

The tour also gave this busy woman a break from the day-to-day along with precious time to spend just wandering the streets in the old cities with Eldie.  Krakow was their favorite.

When asked how Mike found her, she goes back to her days at the U of Wyoming when she was the vocal department's accompanist.

"I was hired just before Mike arrived for the fall semester.  He didn't find me, he was stuck with me!  We've been good friends ever since.  I am so grateful to have worked with him over the years."

Carolyn and Eldie Cline at the farewell dinner after our final concert in Leipzig.

 *There's More!  Scroll up to top of page and look in the right column for Blog Archive.  Click on the topic or day you'd like to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment